A Family-Owned National Freight HaulerSince our founding in 1949, Heyl Truck Lines has grown to become one of the most respected freight lines in North America by providing prompt, courteous service.
Although we currently have over 400 trucks on the road, we had humble beginnings.
Don Heyl took the wheel of his first truck in 1949, hauling gravel in northwest Iowa near our current headquarters in Akron, Iowa. A decade later, the business began to grow as he started transporting watermelons into Canada.
Don's sons have played a major role in the growth of Heyl Truck Lines. In 1969, Roger Heyl joined the company and continued in the family business until he retired in 2015. In 1975, Alan Heyl joined his father and brother and now serves as President. David Heyl joined in 1986 and is now helping to oversee the operations department.
In 1971, Heyl Truck Lines was incorporated. The next decade brought immense growth and included the addition of an office in the Akron industrial park, two three-stall shops, and a produce building to pack watermelons.
By 1987, Heyl had 79 trucks on the road. To support this growth, a Canadian office was opened in Edmonton, Alberta. One year later, the office was moved to Calgary, Alberta and transitioned into a terminal. That same year, Heyl bought Quasar Express and opened a terminal in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Three years later, in 1990, an office was opened in Texas. By 1993, 165 trucks carried the Heyl name and terminals were opened in Washington and Florida in 1994 and 1995.
By 2009, Heyl had 350 trucks in service and had greatly expanded its Florida operations to include a terminal, dedicated fleet, and an intrastate operation. The intrastate operation now stands at over 75 trucks.
Today, the company continues to thrive and serve a growing client base across the nation and into Canada. Heyl has received numerous awards over the years from some of the nation's largest food and beverage manufacturers including Coca-Cola, Tyson, Pepsico, and Nestle.
From our humble beginnings driving our first gravel truck in 1949, to our current fleet of over 400 trucks, our dedication to employing great drivers and providing excellent service has never wavered.